Friday 13 September 2013

[Interviews] Miley defends VMAs on 'Chatty Man': 'Why were people surprised?'


Miley Cyrus speaks openly about her controversial ‘twerking’ performance at the VMAs on tonight’s episode of Alan Carr’s Chatty Man.
The former Disney star claimed that her raunchy duet with Robin Thicke was about artistic expression and celebrating her recent pop video for ‘We Can’t Stop’ rather than deliberately courting controversy
“I didn’t really think anything about it until the next morning when the world was going crazy about it, because when I came off the stage I didn’t really think anything of it,” she tells Carr.
Cyrus claims that she wasn’t concerned about critical tweets from fellow popstars, commenting: “It wasn’t really about the competition or what other people think, it was really more about expressing yourself as much as you can, and really celebrating your video."
“I thought it was dope when Gaga came out [for her performance], it was such a tribute to her video. And that’s what ours was really too, so I didn’t really get why people were so surprised.”
Responding to her critics, Cyrus said: “People keep clicking it, so people are going to keep writing about it, talking about it, because it keeps bringing hits to their site, it really has nothing to do with me and what I did, people just like to rile each other up, it’s crazy. I think it takes a lot of courage to go out and do what I did. But all the people who like to talk about it, they’re sitting behind their computers anonymously saying what they want to say, and I obviously say and do what I fell in front of everybody, so I kind of expect the same respect. If you’re about to say something about me, say it to my face or say it with your name on it, don’t say it behind my back or sit behind your computer.”
Cyrus added: “I like it when people say, ‘how are they not talking about these real world issues right now and Miley’s just around twerking?’ I’m like, ‘What do you want me to do?! You’re the one clicking the damn page. Go read the news about real s**t in the world, don’t keep clicking on my page – you’re the one who’s making it keep coming back and the reason why people won’t quit talking about it!’ I already did it and I’ve got bigger and naughtier things to be thinking about… My mind’s a fun place to be.”
Alan Carr’s Chatty Man airs tonight (September 13) at 10pm on Channel 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment